Tracking Working Group Information
- Francesco Bossu (CEA), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kondo Gnanvo (JLab), email@example.com
- Laura Gonella (University of Birmingham), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Xuan Li (LANL), email@example.com
Liaisons to other WGs
Liaisons to Simulation Production & QA WG
- Silicon: Nicolas Schmidt (ORNL), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Gas: Matt Posik (Temple University), email@example.com
Liaisons to DAQ/Electronics/Readout WG
- Silicon: Jo Schambach (ORNL), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Gas: Kondo Gnanvo (JLab), email@example.com
Liaisons to Software and Computing WG
- Silicon: Shujie Li, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Gas: TBC
Liaisons for noise/background embedding in DD4HEP
Rey Torres (LBNL, email@example.com) and Kei Nagai (LANL, firstname.lastname@example.org).
Detector layout configurations
2022 October Simulation production configuration and updates (production tag 22.10.0)
See also Talk from Ernst on 13 October 2022
Symmetric along z relative to z = 0cm. vertex 1: r = 36 mm, l = 270 mm, 0.05% X/X0 vertex 2: r = 48 mm, l = 270 mm, 0.05% X/X0 vertex 3: r = 120 mm, l = 270 mm, 0.05% X/X0 support barrel: r = 135mm, l = 270 mm, 0.036% X/X0 barrel sagitta 1: r = 270 mm, l = 540 mm, 0.25% X/X0 barrel sagitta 2: r = 420 mm, l = 840 mm, 0.55% X/X0 cone angle: 45 degrees
Silicon hadron Endcap:
disk 1: z = 25cm, rmin = 36.76 mm, rmax = 230 mm, 0.24% X/X0 disk 2: z = 45cm, rmin = 36.76 mm, rmax = 430 mm, 0.24% X/X0 disk 3: z = 70cm, rmin = 38.42 mm, rmax = 430 mm, 0.24% X/X0 disk 4: z = 100cm, rmin = 54.43 mm, rmax = 430 mm, 0.24% X/X0 disk 5: z = 135cm, rmin = 70.14 mm, rmax = 430 mm, 0.24% X/X0
Silicon electron Endcap:
disk 1: z = -25cm, rmin = 36.76 mm, rmax = 230 mm, 0.24% X/X0 disk 2: z = -45cm, rmin = 36.76 mm, rmax = 430 mm, 0.24% X/X0 disk 3: z = -65cm, rmin = 36.76 mm, rmax = 430 mm, 0.24% X/X0 disk 4: z = -90cm, rmin = 40.0614 mm, rmax = 430 mm, 0.24% X/X0 disk 5: z = -115cm, rmin = 46.3529 mm, rmax = 430 mm, 0.24% X/X0
- The details of the implementation in DD4Hep can be found in Shujie's talk here: https://indico.bnl.gov/event/17394/contributions/69873/attachments/44061/74348/Silicon%20Tracker%20Geometry%20and%20Materials%20in%20DD4hep-2.pdf
- This talk also contains the value of the disk inner and outer radius (rmin and rmax in table). Note the following point. The disks are currently implemented in a way that does not allow to offset the inner opening. The inner opening is in the center of the disk. When the beam pipe fans out, this means that the inner opening of the disk is not symmetric around the beam pipe and it larger than "radius of beam pipe + 5 mm" (remember 5 mm clearance is needed for bake out). This is explained graphically in these slides: https://cernbox.cern.ch/s/MghHdVsOdMlNEWZ
- The disk configuration in the electron going direction is compatible with the smaller envelop available in the case where the pfRICH is used. If the mRICH is used, the envelop on the electron side could be the same as on the positive side. However in this simulation campaign, one silicon configuration is used and it is the one with the asymmetric design of the forward and backward disk configurations.
MPGD tracking geometry:
- Detailed MPGD geometry parameters are summarized in Matt Posik's talk here:
There are in general two MPGD geometries:
- MPGD Barrel (https://github.com/eic/epic/blob/main/compact/tracking/mpgd_dirc.xml). This layer is positioned at radius r = 55 cm, and has a length of 230 cm. Its material budget is about 0.5% X/X0 and has a spatial resolution of 150 um.
- MPGD DIRC (https://github.com/eic/epic/blob/main/compact/tracking/mpgd_dirc.xml). This is the layer behind the DIRC at r = 73 cm and has a length of 342 cm covering the range from z = -197 cm to z = 145 cm (note it is not symmetric relative to z = 0). Its material budget is ~2% X/X0 and has a spatial resolution of 150 um.
The two detector configurations that are being used in this simulation campaign are designated Arches and Bryce canyon.
- Arches contains the MPGD Barrel and MPGD DIRC geometries.
- Bryce Canyon contains MPGD Barrel geometry
AC-LGAD ToF geometry:
- The AC-LGAD ToF consists the hadron endcap plane and barrel plane. The geometry parameters of the AC-LGAD ToF are summarized in Nicolas Schmidt's talk here:
ToF Barrel geometry (epic/compact/tracking/tof barrel.xml):
r = 64.6 cm, zmin = -120 cm, zmax = 120 cm, hit resolution: 30x3000 micron (0.01x1cm strips), ~1% X/X0
ToF Hadron Endcap geometry (epic/compact/tracking/tof barrel.xml):
z = 192 cm, rmin = 8.5 cm, rmax = 67 cm, xoffset = -2.75 cm, hit resolution: 30x30 micron (100x100 micron pixels), ~7% X/X0
2022 August 25 configuration for simulations
See more details in the talks from Ernst at these links: https://indico.bnl.gov/event/16261/, https://indico.bnl.gov/event/16582/
Layer 1: r = 36 mm, l = 270 mm, 0.05% X/X0 Layer 2: r = 48 mm, l = 270 mm, 0.05% X/X0 Layer 3: r = 120 mm, l = 270 mm, 0.05% X/X0 Layer 4: r = 270 mm, l = 540 mm, 0.25% X/X0 Layer 5: r = 420 mm, l = 840 mm, 0.55% X/X0 support barrel: r=135mm, l=270mm, 100um carbon fiber, X/X0 = 0.036% support cone angle: 45 degrees
|z| = 250, 450, 700, 1000, 1350 mm r_out = 43 0mm at |z|>430mm,~230mm at|z|=250mm r_in ~ 5 mm away from beam pipe X/X0 ~ 0.24% per disk
Notes on disks
- z = 1350 mm would put the last disk right against the mRICH in the e- direction; TBC pending checks with project engineers/up-to-date CAD drawing.
- 5th disk in FWD/BWD direction needs r_out = 59/53 cm to fit into the current support design.
- r_in under optimisation based on disk tiling study, hence no precise number is given.
Examples of Fun4All implementation of this geometry
- Estimated noise rate from tracking subsystems (update at Tracking WG meeting, 8 September 2022):
- MAPS layer/plane: 10^-7 event/pixel, ongoing R&D could further reduce the noise rate.
- MPGD layer/plane: will provide the first order estimated values.
- AC-LGAD layer/plane: 3x10^-7 event/pixel with the 3 sigma threshold cut.
- Detector geometry optimization and tracking performance study in simulation
- Analyzers: Ernst, Rey, Nicholas, Matt, Stephen, Wenqing, Shujie, Shyam, Sourav
- Expected time duration: Now to 6 months
- Status: The first order MAPS silicon detector geometry optimization has been implemented. Working on the MPGD detector geometry optimization (Code in https://github.com/orgs/eic/projects/7) and need volunteers. Will work on the tracking detector overall integration and optimization.
- Tracking pattern recognition
- Analyzers: YueShi Lai, Wenqing Fan, Shyam
- Expected time duration: Now to 3 months
- Status: Will report in upcoming WG meetings.
- Tracking reconstruction algorithms from Gaudi to JANA2
- Analyzers: Dmitry, David, Shyam
- Expected time duration: Central detector ready
- Status: Imported most parts of Gaudi to JANA2, invite more analyzers to review and cross-check the code status, which elements are missing.
- EIC background embedding
- Analyzers: Rey Torres, Kei Nagai, BNL group
- Expected time duration:
- Status: Kei started to work on the DD4HEP background simulation. Need inputs from Rey. Plan to organize a specific workforce to focus on a defined task list. Need to first implement the reconstructed cluster and vertex algorithms in simulation.
- Background MatterMost channel: https://eic.cloud.mattermost.com/main/channels/background-embedding
- Defining the list of particle decay channels (e.g., Lambda, K_s, D) and requirements
- Analyzers: TBD, seek inputs from physics WG.
- Expected time duration:
- Physics requirements
- Analyzers: associated physics WG
- Physics requirements received from physics WG
- Input from HF and Jet WG: Good low momentum tracking efficiency, good tracking momentum and DCA resolutions in all kinematic region.
- Input from Inclusive WG: Good low momentum tracking efficiency and resolutions.
- Input from SIDIS WG: Good tracking momentum and DCA resolutions in all kinematic region. Displaced vertex measurements, which is essential for Lambda measurements.
- Plan to integrate central and far-forward and far-backward tracking together later on
Detector technical development tasks:
- Inputs from eRDs and detector consortium
- Technology feature
- R&D status and plan
- cost and risk
Cables, Services, Integration
- Inputs from the EIC Silicon Consortium on the MAPS layer/disk cables, service space requirements:
ePIC SVT services estimate for project integration and routing exercise November 2022:
- Inputs from the EIC MPGD Consortium on the MPGD layer/disk cables, service space requirements:
- Integration with other detector:
Barrel ToF radius 63-66cm, z coverage: -120cm to 120cm