Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page was derived from NTU|env|wiki:SVN_Commit (http://dayabay.phys.ntu.edu.tw/tracs/env/wiki/SVN_Commit)
This page describes the steps of committing local changes made to working copy into the repository. Note this working approach of keeping all you changes in local working copy is only appropriate for small changes. For larger changes adopting standard subversion Branch/Merge working practices is highly recommended. This is described on db:SVN_Merge which is linked from db:SVN_Repository.
Recipe for doing a commit
- Check where the current directory corresponds to in the repository :
cd $DYW/G4dyb svn info Path: . URL: http://dayabay.ihep.ac.cn/svn/dybsvn/legacy/trunk/G4dyb Repository Root: http://dayabay.ihep.ac.cn/svn/dybsvn Repository UUID: 9a4306ee-3332-0410-9a75-a644b53ef5af Revision: 1749
- See what files are locally changed and what is changed in the repository:
svn help status ## summary help svn status -u * 1749 include/dyw_PMT_LogicalVolume.hh * 1749 include/dywDetectorMessenger.hh * 1749 include/dywDetectorConstruction.hh * 1749 include/dywPMTOpticalModel.hh * 1749 src/dyw_PMT_LogicalVolume.cc * 1749 src/dywDetectorMessenger.cc * 1749 src/dywConstructNearSitePool.cc * 1749 src/dywAnalysisManager.cc * 1749 src/dywConstructAberdeenLab.cc * 1749 src/dywConstructNearSitePool_CD1.cc * 1749 src/dywConstructNearSitePool_CDR.cc * 1749 src/dywConstructPrototype.cc * 1749 src/dywConstructDYBDetector.cc * 1749 src/dywConstructFarSite_OctagonalPool.cc * 1749 src/dywDetectorConstruction.cc * 1749 src/dywConstructOneModuleAlternative.cc * 1749 src/dywConstructOneModule.cc ? cmt/load.C ? cmt/tmp
- If there are modifications in the repository (indicated by *) you must update before doing any checkins:
svn help update svn update svn status -u
Look carefully at the status codes from the update, especially for "C" for conflict and "G" for merged. Manually resolve any conflicts db:ConflictResolution
- Add new files
svn help add svn add include/dywEtcetera.hh svn add src/dywEtcetera.cc
- Oops, I did not mean to add a file or a directory (use
--recursivefor directory and all its subdirectories and files).
svn help revert svn revert src/dywEtcetera.cc svn revert --recursive src
- A better way to
- Perform commits or check-ins ci .If no path is specified to the svn ci the default is the current directory. Doing this is not recommended unless you are very sure regarding the status of all files in the current directory. Its safer to be more specific and check in just the paths you have been working on. If you want to enter a long commit, or just like using an editor,
export SVN_EDITOR=emacsor whatever editor you prefer, then omit
-mfrom the commit line.
svn help ci svn ci include/Etcetera.hh include/Other.hh -m "message concerning the change" svn ci src/Etcetera.cc src/Other.cc -m "commit message "