Status Reports, 2008

From Daya Bay
Jump to navigation Jump to search

2008/12/04

David

  • MDC production at COOP. Laptop installation issues for tutorial attendees.

Dan

  • Preparing analysis example software. Debugging simulation output data.

2008/11/20

Brett

  • Got pull simulation working with file output except for a problem with inter-execution-cycle references. To fix this will require a reorganization of where an object's path and entry number are storeed.

Brandon

  • Updating user manual with Trigger and Readout Sections. These should be done by the end of the week.

David

Getting MDC08 production going on coop. Enabling global domination.

2008/11/13

Cheng-Ju

  • Added radial shield geometry in NuWa
  • Working with Simon on the MDC production scripts

Brett

  • Modified nuwa.py to let modules be passed command line args in order to allow simulation start time to be set.
  • Added support code so that simulation start time can be given by human friendly date strings.
  • Mostly finished the integration of ElecSim through ReadoutSim into Fifteen ("pull" method). It all seems to run okay and I think it is now ready for physics validation.

Wei

  • Added dry detectors; Added the option of loading different geometrical configurations; Briefed the status and usage of NuWa geometry package
  • Speaking with local administrators about setting up a SPADE process

Craig

  • Working with US network engineers & US management to flesh-out DayaNet OC3 plans for AD Dry Run time frame.
  • Contributing to US Daya Bay evaluation of the BCP03.

2008/11/06

Brett

  • Mostly working on integrating simulation stages into Fifteen.
  • Converted and sent SRTM elevation data to Jilei.

Lisa

  • Discovered a bug while producing files for the conical geometry validation - "uniformly" generated events are not uniform at all. I'm investigating.

Dan

  • Refining issues with the current Data Model
  • Debugging the new Readout data file output

Brandon

  • Renamed TrigEvent to SimTrigEvent and made corresponding changes to the TrigEvent Converters.
  • Updated Parts of the SimReadoutEvent converter to reflect new structure.

Wei

  • mainly working on sorting out and reviewing different geometry configurations

Xingtao

  • implementation of MixEvtSelector for input from multiple files

2008/10/30

David

Wrote monthly simulation and analysis report. Generally caused trouble in the offline meeting.

Wei

  • Since last report, minimal conical AD geometry has been committed. Ready to be evaluated. Coordinating the AD evaluation with Lisa.
  • A MediumConical AD geometry directory is branched out to continue the development of AD details. Coordinating the developments with Liangjian, Cheng-Ju etc.
  • A dry AD geometry directory is branched out to hold Dry Run AD geometry, being updated.
  • Neutron-related codes are committed into DetSimValidation package, together with the scripts driving them. Scripts are not updated according to the spirit of nuwa.py yet.
  • A brief report to Cheng-Ju on the UW-Madison computation power. Building the latest NuWa locally on the UW cluster.

Cheng-Ju

  • Created a new package DbiDataSvc to provide database interface to the ICableSvc, ISimDataSvc, and ITestBenchSvc services defined in the DataModel. Right now only the skeleton is in the DbiDataSvc package, working on filling the package with real meat.
  • Starting to organize the MC production for MDC.

Lisa

  • Working on converting the validation scripts to the new style, will start producing files today for the AD geometry evaluation.

2008/10/23

Cheng-Ju

  • Exercised the example DBI codes in NuWa to create, write, and read databases. The next step is to plug in the Gaudi service for the PMT test bench data.
  • Supervising a student on the radial shield implementation.

Craig Tull

  • I, Jason Lee, Eli Dart (ESNet) and Brian Tierney (ESNet) attended the CANS 2008 (Chinese American Network Symposium) conference in Indianapolis. Eli and I both presented talks, as did several representatives from CSTNet (Ms He Qunhui, Ms Han Chunjing, Mr Tao Jing), GLORIAD, and CERNet. Agenda and talks can be found at http://www.indiana.edu/~uits/cans2008/program.html

Simon Patton

Got SPADE running being fed from multiple sites. Also put in the mirroring code to relay files to other warehouses. Started re-working metadata management to support our needs.

Brett Viren

Put in a CoordSysSvc service which lets users find the canonical coordinate system based on global coordinate system point. So, for example they can transform global positions into the AD local frame. The offline user manual has been update to reflect this.

Some various improvements and polishing with nuwa.py and the new configuration style.

David

Nothing of substance

Simon B

  • fixes to keep tests passing
  • start integration of embedded ipython into nuwa.py, via option -i, providing a greatly enhanced interactive python experience (eg: tab completion on object properties/methods, access to docstrings with obj? and source with obj?? )

Zhe

  • The bug that alpha is ignored by DetSim is fixed.
  • Integrating U and K generators into Fifteen simulation
  • Pointed out several potential problems with U and Th generators.

Kim Boddy

  • Added configuration scripts for ElecSim, TrigSim, and ReadoutSim and provided minimal job option scripts in the share directories. Still needs verification (requires converting Python script that makes readout ROOT tree to nuwa.py-friendly form). Need to add RootIO.
  • Working on adding noise to electronics.

2008/10/16

  • Wang Meng, etc, working on Data Model for real data.

Brett

More work on cleaning up configuration code.

David

Collating MC features needed for MDC & feature freeze.

Wei

  • Committed the changes on the geometry of AD major elements: now cones are cones. :)
  • Summarized a brief guidance on the current AD geometry structure and philosophy to help new geometry coders start, to coordinate work. Together with the new AD major geometry, Liangjian and Cheng-Ju and his student can put the geometries of reflectors and radial shields into the current structure.
  • Finishing up the AD ribs and overflow/calibration pipes.
  • Time to plan the NuWa AD performance evaluation...... Step-by-step approach suggested by David&Kevin

Zhe

  • U decay is added to Fifteen Minutes simulation.
  • Several bugs for U decay package are cleaned.
  • Verifying U decay generator and alpha particle in DetSim.

Simon B

http://dayabay.ihep.ac.cn/tracs/dybsvn/search?q=blyth

  • Improvements to speed/accuracy of test running/reporting, mainly by adding functionality to dybinst
  • Slave running stability improvements, reducing maintenance overhead of keeping the slaves running
  • Added python package DybPython.Interactive to provide easy access to informative repr for model objects
  • Added many utility functions dyb__* : one example ... dyb__open, opens the trac browser page corresponding to your path in the working copy

Cheng-Ju

  • Created&filled a test PMT database on dayabay.lbl.gov in a public area
  • Supervising a student on the radial shield geometry
  • Created a skeleton wiki page for MDC; need to start populating the page with useful information and links

Dan

  • Retooling DataSvc classes with standard Context-plus-task interface

Simon P

  • Got SPADE running so that the Ingest application can accept files from more than one instance of the Spade application.

Craig Tull

Kim Boddy

  • Currently in the process of testing the configuration scripts for ElecSim. Need to complete configuration scripts for TrigSim and ReadoutSim. Electronics are very straightforward; most property defaults declared in the algorithms and tools are good for general simulation. Need timing spectra for pre- and after-pulses.
  • Plan to officially present EsPmtEffectPulseTool at simulation meeting on Monday, Oct. 20. ADC calibration has been set aside until more important tasks are completed before the code freeze.
  • Will begin implementing noise into ElecSim soon.
  • LED diffuser ball tool itself is already good to go. Meeting with Jianglai and Dan tomorrow about putting in the geometry (received input from Brett about how to go about this). Vertex timing issue (Trac #20) still outstanding.

2008/10/09

Craig Tull

  • The Daya Bay Project Advisory Panel (PAP) occurred at LBNL on 06-07oct08. We presented the offline status for review.

David Jaffe

  • Creating Trac tickets for MC upgrades/improvements.
  • Working with Kevin,Wei,Jilei,Jianglai on implementing improvements.

Brett Viren

Organized configuration using Configurables and per-package Python modules and a main script (nuwa.py) that takes care of default framework level setup and provides command line options. It is documented and Geometry+GenTool+DetSim+RootIO is converted. See DocDB 2697.

Xingtao Huang

For me ,right now i am working two item with IHEP people.

  1. reconstruction event file i/o : under-developing
  2. design and implementation of data model from real raw data to analysis data - under design.

Kimberly Boddy

Created electronics tool to add PMT effects (EsPmtEffectPulseTool). Currently working on calibration to extract PMT properties and compare to input simulation properties provided by ISimDataSvc.

Simon Patton

Helped Cheng-Ju get started with populating the DB with test bench data. Wrote up requirements for MDC data movement and along with a document explaining their impact on SPADE and how it can be modified to satisfy those requirements.

Dan Dwyer

I have been working on the software needed for the bookkeeping of PMT and electronics properties (gain, time offsets, cable mapping, etc.). I have added Gaudi Services which provide access to this data. Currently, hard-coded tables of numbers are used. I am working with Cheng-Ju and Simon to use the database for these numbers.


Wei Wang

  1. Karsten and I realized that our AD's will not be identical mechanically or chemically though we will do our best to make them identical. In order to study whether they would be physically nonidentical (which I don't want), we need NuWa to have this capacity. Presented what we would like to have to the offline group and experts (Brett etc) thought such capacity is realizable. Being realized by experts (Brett etc) and kept in mind while updating the NuWa geometry (by all the geometry coders).
  2. Implementing the latest AD design into NuWa:
    • Restructure the gen.py to implement the major conical AD elements. (done but not committed)
    • Putting in the details of the latest AD design: i) I am implementing ribs and overflows; ii) Communicated with David and Cheng-Ju about the radial shields; iii) coordinated with Liangjian that he would put in the reflectors.
  3. While implementing the geometry, we realized the AD is not up-down symmetric any more thus needs a new AD coordinate system which should more general and be able to absorb potential modifications. Clarified three AD-related local coordinates:
    • Analysis coordinate. It should provide convenience to analysis, so it needs more consideration. It can be decided later.
    • Simulation coordinate. David presented two proposals. The straightforward #1 was voted on, which can also provide consistency to previous G4dyb choice.
    • DetDest geometry coordinates. This won't interfere with the analysis or simulation coordinate because we will need a service to provide the transformation of every piece of geometry any way. Decision: "do whatever is convenient to put in the correct geometry".
  4. Wrapping up the Validation Note together with Kevin, Lisa and Xinchun. The first preliminary version was uploaded.