This wiki is now closed and kept for historical purposes. Please visit the new wiki at https://lbne.bnl.gov/wiki/
Questions to Address
• What is the best estimate of the SN rate in our galaxy based on the latest radio SNR surveys, nucleosythesis arguments, and historical SN? What fraction are expected to be core collapse?
• What other experiments will measure SN bursts during the expected lifetime of the LBNE experiment? (e.g. IceCube, HALO, SK, SNO+, ICARUS, etc.).
• What is the distance sensitivity? What is the closest supernova for which rate could be handled? What would be learned from the detection (at the level of ~10 events) of a SN burst from Andromeda galaxy? From detection of single extragalactic events?
• What are the uncertainties on supernova models? What are the uncertainties on cross-sections? What cross-section measurements would be useful?
Detector performance questions:
• What are detector time and energy resolutions, and reasonable background assumptions?
• How well can flavor content be disentangled? For water, how much does gadolinium help?
• How does the detector deal with minimizing dead time? Is there segmentation so that part of the detector can always be live? Can the detector record SN events even during calibration or maintenance period? Can summarized information be recorded in the case of very high rate? How quickly can supernova burst information be read out and reconstructed? Can supernova burst searches be automated? How will online vs offline reconstruction of a supernova burst compare, in terms of efficiency and resolution? Can the detector take data with reduced threshold in the case of detected SN burst?
Physics sensitivity questions:
• What can we learn about supernova explosion mechanisms? Can we observe signatures of: o asphericity? o the accretion to cooling transition? o the breakout peak? o shock wave effects? o black hole formation? o accretion disks? o SASI oscillations? o QCD transitions? o other exotic effects? o nucleosynthesis? o how late can we follow the proto-n star cooling phase?
• What can we learn about neutrino and other particle physics? Can we observe signatures of: o θ13? o mass hierarchy? o collective effects, "spectral swapping"? o sterile neutrinos? o absolute mass? o CP violation? o supersymmetry? o exotic physics: axions, extra dimensions, magnetic moment, etc.?
• What is the distance sensitivity of an early alert? • How well can neutrinos be used to point to the supernova? • Can pre-supernova neutrino production be detected?
• What is to be gained by combining WC and LAr information?
• Is there anything to be gained by sharing data with other experiments (IceCube etc, gravitational waves, multiwavelength observatories) for: - early alert (e.g. time triangulation)? - time delay from GW coincidence? - matter effect in Earth from detectors in different locations?