Presentation by R. Majka: http://hepwww.physics.yale.edu/star/EIC/R-Majka-Apr-11-2011.pdf
Presentation by Craig Woody can be found here ppt.
MINUTES: Hi all We had a nice discussion today and did indeed "get to know each other" much better. All the slides are posted on the wiki and so I will only give a cursory overview of these.
Craig presented first and showed a variety of slides that showcased BNL capabilities including:
- Fast TPC (+HBD) prototype.
- Interpolating pad studies.
- VUV spectroscopy equipment
- LEGs TPC hardware
- New ATLAS ASIC under development.
Tom presented the SBU capabilities including:
- Large volume clean Tent.
- Laminar Flow Table
- High purity glovebox
- high flow recirculating gas system
- gas chromatograph
- Leftover beam test vessels for PHENIX RICH and HBD
Marcus presented slides for Fla Tech including:
- Involvement of Fla Tech in CMS, PHENIX, RD51...w/ notable alums
- Large area GEM work for CMS upgrade.
- Clean stretching of large GEM foil techniques
- Homeland security GEM devices
- RD51 SRS (Scalable Readout System)
- Plans for development of Zig-Zag readout schemes.
Dick presented slides from Yale including:
- Photographic system for geometrical measurement of readouts.
- Development of Strip-pad readout...success of Tech Etch.
- Concept behind 3-coordinate readout to reduce channel count.
- Work Plan for development of 3-coordinate system.
- Example of production 2-coordinate unit.
Nilanga was traveling to DIS and will make a presentation next week.
- What are the limits on thickness of C6F14?
- Can we presume that RICH is after tracking?
- Also implies constraint on window.
- How many sigma between pi/K/p separation at various wavelengths (sets ring radius resolution)?
- Tolerable mirror thickness?
- If electron direction uses “High Threshold”, what is the required threshold for e-pi separation?
- Effects of multiple scattering, mirror surface roughness, mirror precision, mirror alignment, detector placement, …on RING RADIUS resolution.
- What spatial resolution would be needed for an EIC tracker?
- Can it be different for phi and eta?
- What is the expected occupancy?
- What readout cell size would be needed?
- Please be aware that the RD51 collaboration is holding a meeting this week and all the slides from the meeting are publicly available as is the EVO contact information. Clearly many topics from RD51 will be of interest to us.
- Several of us are traveling to the RC51 meeting and promise to select and highlight interesting developments to one of our future meetings.
- Each of us should consider joining RD51 as an individual member. Membership is necessary to get access to the SRS readout system (mentioned by Marcus) and would also provide access and contact to the latest developments.
- The SRS system seems EXTREMELY attractive as being low cost and capable of reading many different front end chips (APV25, VFAT, ATLAS new chip, ...). It is likely a reasonable standard for our future work.
See you next Monday when we'll have a more open discussion about simulations work related to sharpening our goals.