IR Design Requirements
This page discusses the requirements imposed by the EIC physics on the IR design.
The following requirements will be discussed in more detail below
- the beam element free region around the IR and the requirements on the magnetic field of the detector
- the detection of neutrons of nuclear break up in the outgoing hadron beam direction
- the detection of the scattered protons from exclusive and diffractive reaction in the outgoing proton beam direction
- space for low Q2 scattered lepton detection
- space for the luminosity monitor in the outgoing lepton beam direction
- space for lepton polarimetry
For exclusive and diffractive reactions in e-A scattering it is essential to detect the neutron of the nuclear break up in the direction of the outgoing beam. The plots show the angular distribution of these neutrons depending on the excitation energy of the nucleus.